About Me

My photo
Wife. Mother. Teacher. Catholic. Wanna-Be Mexican. Crafter. Dork.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Dateline NBC


Okay, I have to say I'm quite addicted to true crime stories. I used to watch Nancy Grace every night before bed until it started giving me Casey Anthony nightmares. I spend every Saturday folding laundry and watching "Dateline: Real Life Mysteries" on TLC. It's a weird fascination that I can't explain. It's pretty formulaic: a woman described as energetic, successful, beautiful, a great mother and all around perfect is brutalized and all her family has left are these amazing pictures of her.

It makes me wonder: do unamazing women ever come up missing? Do they just not get any press? Is it editing? There had to be somebody in the bunch with a story of the time she royally fucked up and a picture with her eyes closed. Or is it that they're amazing in hindsight, the way people canonize the dearly departed. I know my Mama was a saint and I dare anybody to challenge that notion.

 What always kills me is the initial discovery that something is wrong. The stories usually contain these absolute statements: "She would NEVER leave the house like that" "She ALWAYS comes home at five". I started to think: if I came up missing, it would take a while to figure it out. My house always looks like "signs of a struggle". I usually get home.....whenever the hell I'm done with my work. My phone is always dead from my neverending quest to beat every level of Angry Birds. Also, I have dozens of unflattering pictures for every one pic of me in decent makeup, looking in the right direction and sucking in my gut.

I could be crammed in a trunk right now for all you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment